Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter!

Easter is very much about renewal, new life, and hope and those lessons have become much more real to us this year. On Friday, April 3rd Victor was released from St. Joseph Hospital after being there for 51 days. Fifty-one. It was a lifetime. No one who loves Victor is the same person today as they were 51 days ago. I hope we will all learn from this to speak softer, forgive faster, laugh longer, and love better.

The physical therapy staff feels that Victor has made sufficient progress to continue treatment as an outpatient. He continues to put on weight, his hair now covers most of the scarring, and he moves about unassisted. His speech, predictably, is lagging behind the rest of his gains. He’s patient and gracious with our efforts to understand him. Today he was finger-spelling. He continues his barrage of physical, occupational, and speech therapies all week. Still, he's happy to be home and working on the new “normal” family routine.

Victor, we love you. To all the family and friends who support Victor and us, we love you too. Happy Easter and God bless you.

4 comments:

  1. It was so awesome & amazing to see Victor walk into church this Sunday. Tears came to my eyes as I watched him walk towards the front. What an amazing blessing for everyone! I'm sure he will continue to progress and bet stronger every day! It has been inspiring to witness. Go Victor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are back home! You have come so far and we are so proud of your hard work. See you soon,
    Christine and Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victor, we are so happy you can be home with your family. Happy Easter! We love you, The Ulrich Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I drove Victor, Mica and Eli home tonight from their grandma's house, a chord was struck deep in my heart once again. Driving and engaging in car talk between the boys, both excited to be driving in the not so distant future. I look over at Vic as he comments then starts to laugh his laugh, Big smile and grin on his face as he looks over at me. I felt as if my heart would melt. this time last year I sat with family and friends praying that he would fight the fight he needed to in order to overcome the trajedy we were all faced with. Feeling overwhelmed many evenings I listened to a song over and over, sometimes with the nursing staff in the Neuro ICU standing by listening and nodding their heads in understanding as i played the music softly in his room on the computer. It gave me a little strength to cope, a bit of hope and comfort. Tongiht after dropping him off at his friends house, the song played again on the radio...almost bringing me to tears again, but this time ones of joy and gratitude that he's here with us smiling and laughing his laugh in only a way thats Victor...
    I love you Vic, and am grateful for the blessings that we received in having you here with us. Its not your time.....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpfhcljJ9bQ

    ReplyDelete